Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Chicken Wild Rice Soup with Mushrooms

At Thanksgiving a family friend asked if I had a wild rice soup recipe. I didn't but it has been on my to do list for a while. So after the holiday I started experimenting. I wanted to use leeks instead of onions, but the first time I tried to make it I could not find them. I used onion instead. I also wanted to use a box wild rice blend. The first pot was delicious but the wild rice blend was not "wild" enough. The first attempt was so good. Dear sister loved it. But I really wanted to try it with leeks and more wild rice. The second time I was able to find leeks and a "wilder" rice blend. I really couldn't tell much difference. So if you can't find leeks don't worry about it. I suggest finding a rice blend with as much wild rice as possible. It will just have more texture and chew the more wild rice there is in the blend. This may not be the healthiest of soup recipes but it is really, really, creamy and tasty. So worth the calories! I think the decadence of butter and half & half makes it very filling. I love the mushrooms, leeks and the wild chewy rice too. A great twist on chicken soup. I am so glad I finally tried making this soup. I will definitely make it over and over again. I can't wait to try it with leftover turkey one day.


Chicken Wild Rice Soup with Mushrooms
Serves 6

Ingredients

1/4 cup unsalted butter
2 leeks, chopped and rinsed thoroughly (or 2 small onions)       
2 carrots, diced
2 ribs celery, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
8 oz. mushrooms, sliced
1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
1/8 teaspoon pepper, or to taste
1 dash red pepper flakes
1-1/2 tsp. Italian Herb Rub
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
6 cups unsalted chicken stock
1 cooked chicken breast, diced
1 (4.3 oz.) box long grain and wild rice mix (save seasoning for another use)
1 cup half and half

Directions

In a Dutch oven, saute the carrot, celery and leeks(white and pale green parts) in butter for 5 minutes or until tender. Season with salt and peppers. Add garlic, mushrooms and Italian herb rub continue to cook until mushrooms begin to brown and soften. Stir in the flour until blended. Continue to stir constantly until no longer smells like flour. Gradually add broth, cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add the chicken, return to a boil. Add the rice; reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes until rice is cooked. Add half and half and continue to cook until warm through. Taste for seasoning, adjust if necessary and serve.

Notes: Try to find a rice mix with more wild rice or use 1/2 cup of royal blend wild rice blend.



Wild Rice Blend and "Wilder" Rice Blend






Linking to:
Love Bakes Good Cakes: The Ultimate Soup Recipe List Linky

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...