Friday, August 21, 2015

K-cup Sausage Gravy and Grits

When I first got my Keurig people kept telling me that they would brew two cups of coffee from one K-cup. I tried it and I was less than impressed. The second cup was too weak for my taste. Then this morning it came to me, I wonder if you could use that second brew for red-eye gravy? Well I didn't have ham, but I had turkey breakfast sausage. So the experiment began. I placed two slices of sausage in a pan and using a spoon I crumbled it as it cooked. Then I put some beef bouillon in a coffee cup and brewed a second cup of coffee over the top. I used the picture of a tea cup or the smallest cup setting since I was making one serving. I also put on some grits to cook. When the sausage was browned I added a little butter and flour and cooked stirring often until I could no longer smell the flour. Then I added the coffee and bouillon mixture and simmered until nice and thick. It was well seasoned because of the bouillon and all it needed was black pepper. It made a deliciously rich and dark gravy. It did not taste like coffee, it just had a deep, rich, flavor. It was delicious! I loved it over the grits. Such a warm and savory breakfast courtesy of a K-cup. I can't wait to bring home some ham and try a red-eye gravy. So run, don't walk to your Keurig and use that K-cup from your morning coffee to brew up something tasty for breakfast. You will not be disappointed.


K-cup Sausage Gravy and Grits
Serves 1

Ingredients

2 slices turkey breakfast sausage
1/2 tsp. beef bouillon
1 short second brew from K-cup
1/4 cup quick grits
Kosher salt, to taste
2 tsp. butter or margarine, divided
1 tsp. flour
Black pepper, to taste
1 tsp. heavy cream

Directions

Place sausage in a pan, cook on medium high breaking up with a spoon until crumbled. 

Add beef bouillon to a coffee cup and brew a second cup of coffee over the top. Use the picture of a tea cup or the smallest cup setting on a Keurig. 

Place grits, 1 cup of water and salt in a 2 cup microwave safe bowl. Cook on high for 2 minutes. Stir and microwave 1 minute. Stir again and microwave one more minute. 

When sausage is browned, add 1 tsp. butter and flour. Cook stirring often until it no longer smells like flour. Add the coffee and bouillon mixture and simmer until thick. Season with black pepper to taste.

Season grits with remaining butter, cream and additional black pepper (optional), stir to combine. Serve topped with sausage gravy.



Linking to:
My Turn for Us: Freedom Fridays with All My Bloggy Friends

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...