Friday, July 31, 2015

Jambalaya Grill Packets

Guess what! I am still cooking with foil. In fact I made these Jambalaya Grill Packets three times before I finally took photos. I made it once just for me in recipe development, then I made it for the family. They all loved it. Then my favorite person in the world was here last weekend and I made it for him. I was busy having fun and did not even think about photos. So tonight I made it one more time so I could get photos to share with you. It is an easy, fresh twist on jambalaya. It has all the flavor of an oven cooked jambalaya, but the veggies are more apparent. And you do not have to heat up the house with the oven. You assemble the packets, place on the grill and come back 20 minutes later. Done! It is really a great summer meal. A super easy way to share a taste of Louisiana with your family and friends. I have made it with both white and brown converted rice; both work well. I think the white rice absorbs a little more liquid then the brown, but both taste great. I will caution you about seasoning. Rotel tomatoes have some heat so if your sausage is spicy go light on the creole seasoning. But if your a heat seeker, add red pepper flakes too. That is what I did tonight and it was deliciously spicy. So good! I hope you enjoy it as much as my family and friends.



Jambalaya Grill Packets
Serves 4
                  
Ingredients

2 cups converted white or brown rice
2 tsp. Chicken Tomato Bouillon
1 can Rotel tomatoes
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 onion, chopped
1 small green bell pepper, chopped
2 stalks celery, sliced
12 Shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 link of turkey smoked sausage, sliced
1 large boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into bite size pieces
Black pepper, to taste
Kosher salt, to taste
Creole seasoning, to taste
2 bay leaves, torn in half
Handful of parsley, chopped
2 green onion, sliced

Directions

Pre-heat grill to high heat for 15 minutes.

Drain Rotel tomatoes reserving the liquid in a 2 cup measuring cup. Add enough water to the tomato liquid to equal 2 cups. Combine rice, bouillon and tomato water in a bowl stir and set aside for at least 5 minutes. Place tomatoes over rice mixture.

Chop garlic, onion, bell pepper, and celery place on top of tomato and rice mixture. Stir to combine and place in the center of a four pieces of heavy duty aluminum foil. Place a fourth of the shrimp, sausage and chicken on top of each packet. Season each with salt, pepper and creole seasoning. Tuck half a bay leaf in each packet. Seal foil packet by rolling the sides of foil over the top; then seal and secure the ends. Place on the grill lowering temp to medium. Cook at medium for 20 minutes. Remove from grill and allow to rest five minutes. Serve garnished with parsley and green onions.





Linking to:
Reasons to Skip the Housework: STH Link Party #81
Love Bakes Good Cakes: Freedom Fridays with All My Bloggy Friends

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...