Saturday, June 13, 2015

Mint Iced Tea

I made a double batch of Mint Iced Tea this week to take to Mom and Dad's. We had family visiting and we ordered take out from Monjuni's. This tea was the first thing that came to mind for a beverage. I made it with granulated splenda for baking not sugar. It was very refreshing! In fact, as I type this I am finishing up the leftovers. Most Italian restaurants make mint tea in our area. The first place I remember ordering it was at Dominick’s Restaurant. They would serve it in large frosted globe shaped goblets. I looked it up and the globets are for beer, they are called schooners. I honestly think I remember more about the tea than the food? Dominick’s is long gone now, but other local restaurants like Notini's, Monjuni's and Fertitta's still serve it. It is always sweetened with sugar and very delicious. A few years ago I finally found an excellent recipe to bring back those memories of Italian food and ice cold mint tea. I don't remember whose's recipe it is. I do know it was passed down by an Italian grandmother to her grand daughter and she shared it on a message board I follow. I was thrilled when I found it; I had tried many times on my own to replicate the recipe but I could never get it quite right. It either taste like just mint or orange. This recipe is a perfect blend. It uses both orange and lemon juice. Using both does not compete with the mint. It is just delicious. Now I sweeten it to my taste. The original recipe called for 1-1/4 cups of sugar, I found that to be too much. But dear Dad and sister usually like it sweeter, so add sugar or splenda to your families' taste. This is a refreshing beverage for more than Italian food. It would be great at a BBQ or with Greek or Indian food. Heck it would be great all by it's self too. What are you waiting for, go pour a glass!



Mint Iced Tea

Ingredients

3 family size tea bags (6 regular size)
10-12 fresh mint leaves
3/4 cups sugar or granulated splenda (or 18 packets)
2 Tbsp. lemon juice (fresh or bottled)
4 Tbsp. orange juice (fresh or bottled)
Orange, sliced for garnish
Mint sprigs for garnish

Directions

Using a 12 cup coffee pot place tea bags and mint it pot. Brew 12 cups of water. When finished brewing turn pot of and let it steep 5 minutes. Meanwhile in a pitcher add sugar, lemon and orange juice. Pour hot tea in pitcher including mint leaves. Stir until sugar is dissolved. Serve over ice with an orange slice and mint sprig as a garnish. If any tea remains remove mint leaves before storing in the refrigerator.

Note: Some restaurants serve a spiced mint tea. I found that chai tea bags substituted in this recipe makes an excellent spiced mint tea.




A Schooner from Libbey Glass

Linking to:
Tumbleweed Contessa: What'd You Do This Weekend?
Love Bakes Good Cakes: The Ultimate List of Summer Drinks

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...