Saturday, December 27, 2014

Eggnog Cheesecake Muffins

I mentioned the other day that I spent the day sipping Egg Nog Lattes and baking Christmas goodies. I made very easy desserts this year. In fact I didn't even have to change the oven temperature between recipes. I just took one pan out and shoved in the next pan. The recipes I chose were Eggnog Cheesecake Muffins and Peppermint Dark Chocolate Brownies.


Mom was the one who mentioned eggnog cheesecake. I suggested trying to make the muffins for portion control. Really these Eggnog Cheesecake Muffins were a lighter and lazier version of many recipes I found on Pinterest. I did not make my own crust or whipped cream. I bought ginger snaps for the crust and lite whipped topping. I also used neufchatel cheese. It has 1/3 less fat than cream cheese. So I guess these little cheesecake are diet right? They are delicious! Mom said they taste like they were made with creole cream cheese. I love how creamy they turned out. You can taste both the cream cheese and the eggnog flavors. Just delicious! I will definitely makes these again when it is eggnog season.



Eggnog Cheesecake Muffins
Make 12

Ingredients

12 ginger snap cookies*
2 (8 oz.) blocks neufchatel cheese (1/3 less fat), softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1-1/2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg, plus more for garnish if desired
2 large eggs
3/4 tsp rum extract
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup eggnog
Lite whipped topping, thawed

Directions

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line a 12 cup muffin tin with cupcake liners. Place a ginger snap cookie in the bottom of each liner.

In a small mixing bowl, whisk together granulated sugar, flour and nutmeg. Add cheese to a large mixing bowl, then pour sugar mixture over cheese and using an electric hand mixer, blend cheese mixture just until smooth. Mix in eggs one at a time, blending just until combined after each addition. Add rum and vanilla extracts along with the eggnog and blend well to incorporate. Drop bowl against counter top several times to release some of the excess air bubbles. Divide batter among 12 muffin cups, adding about 1/4 cup batter over each cookie. Bake 20 minutes until cupcakes barely jiggle in center. Remove from oven and allow to cool 1 hour at room temperature, then cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 2 hours or until serving.

When ready to serve top each cupcake with whipped topping and sprinkle lightly with nutmeg if desired.

*Note: Make sure you purchase ginger snap cookies that will fit in the bottom of the cupcake liners (I used Archway crispy Gingersnap cookies. They fit perfectly).






Now the Peppermint Dark Chocolate Brownies were another easy, I mean lazy dessert. I just jazzed up a brownie mix. I added peppermint and vanilla extracts; baked as directed on the box then decorated. I melted a large handful of white chocolate in the microwave and then spread it on the brownies once cooled. I sprinkled the warm chocolate with crushed candy canes. They were so good! The only thing I would do differently is to drizzle with the white chocolate next time. I think it will make it easier to cut. Spreading it over the top you have to cut or crack through the chocolate to cut the brownies into pieces. Lesson learned. I will definitely make these brownies again. They were a great taste of the holidays.


Peppermint Dark Chocolate Brownies
Serves 16

Ingredients

1 egg
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup canola oil
I pkg Dark Chocolate Brownie mix*
3/4 tsp. peppermint extract
1 tsp. vanilla extract
White chocolate chips, melted
3 Peppermint candy canes, crushed

Directions

Pre heat oven to 325ยบ. Prepare a 8”x8” Pyrex baking dish with cooking spray.

Place egg, water and oil in a medium bowl and stir until fully mix. Add brownie mix and stir until well combined. Spread in prepared pan.

Bake 50 minutes. Cool completely in pan. Melt the white chocolate in the microwave in 15 second intervals, stirring in between until melted. Garnish with melted chocolate and crushed peppermint.

*Note: I used Ghiradelli Dark Chocolate Brownie Mix.


Linking to:
Ms. enPlace: See Ya in the Gumbo

1 comment:

  1. Clever idea to use eggnog in a cheesecake recipe. My son and husband both are crazy about eggnog...and cheesecake is my husband's favorite dessert.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...