Monday, July 28, 2014

Sunday Dinner and a Peach Pie

We had a great family dinner this past Sunday. The meal was prepared from veggies and fruit from Ed Lester Farms. We all ganged up and prepared a half bushel of Butter Beans with Shrimp. Then for dessert we enjoyed a peach pie Mom made. This pie is a family recipe. She uses it for all her fresh fruit pies. Most often she would use strawberries. But I remember her using blueberries and even hand picked blackberries. She says her favorite is actually cherries in a chocolate graham cracker crust. I am rather fond of the peach version. I like fresh fruit pies more than baked fruit pies. They are so refreshing on a hot summer day. What makes this pie a little different is the layer of cream cheese in the bottom of the crust. It creates a nice barrier between the fruit and the crust preventing the crust from getting too soggy. This pie is so delicious! It is not a looker, it can be a bit of a mess to cut sometimes. But it is oh so tasty. I sure hope we can find the time and the occasion to make a cherry pie while the cherries are still in season.



Peach Pie
Serves 6 to 8

Ingredients

1 ready made graham cracker crust
3 oz cream cheese, softened
5 cups sliced peaches, (approx. 7 medium)
1 cup sugar
3 Tbsp. cornstarch
1/2 to 1 cup water *
1/2 pint whipping cream 
2 tsp powder sugar (optional)

Directions

In a small bowl mix softened cream cheese with just enough whipping cream to make it spreadable. Spread in the bottom of pie crust and set aside. Peel and slice the peaches. Reserve 1 cup and set aside. Arrange peach slices on top of cream cheese in pie crust. Mash reserved peaches. Add peaches sugar, cornstarch and water to a saucepan. Cook over medium heat until mixture begins to boil. Boil for 1 minute. Remove from heat and cool. When cool pour over sliced peaches in pie shell. Chill in refrigerator for at least 3 hours or overnight. Whip whipping cream and powder sugar (if using), spread on top of the chilled pie.

Notes: This recipe can be made with any fresh fruit. Try strawberry, blueberry, blackberry, or cherry. You can use a baked pie crust too. 

* About the amount of water in the recipe, I used 1/2 cup when I made it in the past. Mom used 1 cup this weekend. It sort of depends on the fruit. She said she always uses a cup when making berry pies. I say use less and the pie will hold together better.





See the cream cheese layer? YUM!


Linking to:
Ms. enPlace: See Ya in the Gumbo
Yesterfood: Treasure Box Tuesday
Stone Cottage Adventures: Tuesdays with a Twist
Miz Helen's Country Cottage: Full Plate Thursday

4 comments:

  1. None of my pies are ever lookers lol!
    You had me at cream cheese layer-I like that special twist.
    Thank you for linking this week. My son picked your peach pie to feature at tonight's See Ya in the Gumbo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle! You should have seen the first piece of pie I served. U-G-L-Y! The first piece is always a problem. I am glad I am not the only one who has this problem. Please thank The Boy for featuring my pie. I love See Ya in the Gumbo!

      Delete
  2. Ohhh, peach pie! I am not a good baker but you have inspired me, Denise. This is beautiful. Thanks for a great recipe!
    I'm going to have fun exploring your lovely blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Robyn! So glad you stopped by. I am not much for baking either. I cook all the time. I need a lot more practice with baking. Have a nice day and thank you for your kind comments.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...