Thursday, June 5, 2014

Three Bean Salad

Here is the first of many posts to come on what I have cooked with the fresh veggies from Ed Lester Farms. The first thing I did was roast the bunch of beets we brought home. Then I washed and put away all the veggies. I removed the greens from the beets and turnips; then chopped, blanched and froze them for a future Gumbo Vert. The snap beans were up next.

I bought a large handful maybe a large grab would be a better description of each snap bean they had to offer. They had green, yellow or wax, and blue lake snap beans. The blue lake were almost purple. I thought they would make a beautiful three bean salad. But guess what those blue beans turn green when you cook them! I did not know that. I guess I learned something new this week. They did however make a delicious salad. I have been making this recipe for years with can beans. It is one of Dad's favorite salads. I made this one sans (without) salt. I did not miss it at all. It was so good! I loved the fresh beans too. I blanched them before pouring the hot dressing over them so they had a great texture. Just a little softer than tender crisp. I will definitely make this salad from fresh snap beans again.



Oh! I almost forgot, dear sister bought some creole onions. I had never heard of such a thing. They look like little red onions maybe 2" or 2-1/2" in diameter. They were the perfect size for this salad. I normally use half of a red onion. Creole onions taste spicy not sweet. They wilted in the hot dressing and were just delicious. I really could not tell a difference between the creole onion and red onion. However I really loved there small size.



Three Bean Salad
Makes 12 to 14 servings 

Ingredients

1-1/2 to 2 lbs. fresh green, yellow and blue lake snap beans, trimmed
1 cup apple cider
1 creole onion, sliced in half moons (or half a red onion)
3/4 cup sugar (or Splenda)
1/2 cup canola oil
2 garlic gloves, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste (omit for low sodium diet)
1/2 tsp. Cajun seasoning (click here for a no-salt recipe)
Freshly ground black pepper
2 Tbsp. flat-leaf parsley, minced

Directions

Bring a large pot of water to boil. Add green beans and blanch for 5 minutes. Remove and place in ice water to stop cooking. Drain and set aside.

In a large bowl, combine the beans and the onion. In a small saucepan, stir the sugar (or Splenda), vinegar, oil, garlic and salt together and then bring to a simmer. Pour the hot liquid over the beans. Season with salt (if using), pepper and parsley. Marinate the beans at room temperature for 1 hour, tossing several times. Refrigerate. Serve cold or at room temp. This keeps well in refrigerator.

Notes: This recipe is also great using canned beans. Try using one can each green beans, wax beans, kidney beans and/or garbanzo beans. I use 15 oz. cans drained.








Linking to:
The Chicken Chick: Clever Chicks Blog Hop
The Tumbleweed Contessa: What'd You Do This Weekend?
Stone Cottage Adventures: Tuesdays with a Twist
Lori's Culinary Creations: Tickle My Tastebuds Tuesday
Family Home and Life: Wow Us Wednesday

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...