Saturday, June 14, 2014

So what have I been doing?

I am still here! Still cooking, just not developing any new recipes lately. I have cooked some tried and true recipes and a few of other bloggers recipes. I finally worked my way through the haul of veggies from Ed Lester Farms. I smothered the cabbage with pork like we do for New Year's Day. I did cook it without salt. It was surprisingly delicious. My no-salt family member was very happy. The only thing I did different was eliminate salt, add one minced garlic clove, some celery seed and replaced Tony's with Extra Spicy Mrs. Dash. I enjoyed this one with or without salt. I did snap a few photos. Not my best work. I so need to photograph this dish properly in the new year.




Next I made a Turnip Stew without salt. I did add some carrots, new potatoes and mushrooms because I only had 3 lbs. of turnips. It was good but needed the lift of salt in my opinion. I did add a tablespoon of sherry vinegar which helped a lot but I was afraid to add too much and turn off the salt shakers in the family. This was a hit with my no-salt family member and the salt shakers. That is once they shower the stew with some salt. Sorry no photos.

I also did do some experimenting with a Thai Pork Spaghetti Squash. It was delicious. This one I made just for me and it was great leftover. I did not add additional salt but so many of the condiments in the recipe have sodium. I used my Pork Noodle Salad recipe and substituted spaghetti squash for the rice noodles. I took pictures for you but I want to play around with the dressing on the squash before I post the recipe.




Finally I made Peasant Soup with the leeks from Ed Lester Farms. Again because I love my family I tried cooking this soup without salt. This was a fail for me. It so needs salt. Low or no sodium soups have proved to be a stump-er for me. I am going to have to research for a solution. I guess it is because of the high water content in soup? If you have some helpful tips please share.

Now for what is next...First Father's Day! We have burgers and grilled corn on the menu for sure. I have a dessert surprise planned. But more on that later.

Second, I went back to Ed Lester Farms today. They were super busy and had even more produce to share. They also had a bubble machine going! I felt like a kid waiting in line to pay for my veggies. They also had an antique truck parked out front and lots of big farm equipment. This is a great family experience. A little something for everyone. I brought home heirloom tomatoes, green tomatoes, cucumbers, Italian snap beans, eggplant, poblano peppers, sweet purple peppers, corn, zucchini and squash. Not sure exactly what I will be creating this week. But I see a cucumber tomato salad and maybe a new Chili Relleno Taco in the near future. Who knows? Come back and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...