Friday, June 20, 2014

Cucumber Ranch Salsa

This is yet another recipe inspired by the WW recipe review board. At least two members posted reviews for Cucumber Salsa Salads. I tried both recipes and liked different things about each. One was cucumber heavy and used Rotel. One was heavy on fresh tomatoes but added onion, celery and cilantro. The is my version using my favorite ingredients from both. I loved the spice of the Rotel and the additional crunch from the celery and onions. I decided to use a more even balance of tomato to cucumber. And what would salsa be without cilantro? It is crunchy, fresh, bright and the ranch adds a mellow creaminess to the vinegar. I just love rice vinegar. It is mild and has just a hint of sweetness. This is great as a salsa but also makes a good side dish or salad. It is also great as a topping for salad, chicken, fish, shrimp or tacos. The Rotel is spicy so use mild it you don't like spicy foods. I use original Rotel and it is spicy but not painful. It has lingering heat. It was just perfect for dear sister and I. We enjoyed it on Ground Beef Chili Rellenos Tacos and as a side. I really enjoyed having this crunchy salsa in the refrigerator this week.



Cucumber Ranch Salsa
Makes about 8 cups

Ingredients

2 English cucumbers, chopped
2 tomatoes, chopped
1 Rotel tomatoes, drained
1/2 cup celery, diced
1/2 cup onion, diced
1 pkg dry Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing Mix
1/2 cup rice vinegar
3 - 4 stems cilantro, chopped

Directions

Mix dry dressing mix with rice vinegar, pour over veggies and let sit for at least 3 hours in refrigerator, stirring often. This keeps for many days and gets better as it sits.  



Linking to:
Ms. enPlace: See Ya in the Gumbo
Jam Hands: Recipe Sharing Monday
The Tumbleweed Contessa: What'd You Do This Weekend?
The Chicken Chick: Clever Chicks Blog Hop

5 comments:

  1. Denise- need to pick up some cucumbers, great combo of flavors. I'll be making this one soon! Thanks for sharing.
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm starting to need some ideas for cucumbers. This looks fantastically crunchy, Denise!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting, I've never seen salsa made with cucumbers before. I'm always looking for a new recipe and this looks very good.
    Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop! I hope you’ll join us again next week!

    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino
    The Chicken Chick
    http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...