Friday, May 16, 2014

Yogurt Pie

Recently I made a Banana Split Yogurt Pie for Mother's Day. It was an embellishment of a family recipe we have been making for years. I don't know where the recipe came from, but I do know we made it a lot. It was another recipe I remember making to help Mom out. I asked dear sister which flavors she remembered making most often. We both agreed orange, cherry and peach seemed to be most popular. Today Mom makes lemon frequently and sometimes lime. She uses a jar of lemon curd instead of the fruit. It is so creamy very similar to a lemon ice box pie. The possible combinations are endless. Especially with all the yogurt flavors out there. So I wrote the recipe pretty generic and have included some possible combinations.

Growing up we used full fat yogurt and whipped topping. Today I use light ingredients. The only difference I have noticed it that is freezes a little harder. So take it out of the freezer a little ahead of serving. If you forget, no worries serve it with a fork rather than a spoon it helps cut through the frozen pie. In my experience Greek yogurt works too. So go nuts! Be sure to come back and share your flavor creations.

Tried and True Flavor Combinations
Black Cherry Yogurt + Fresh Bing Cherries
Peach Yogurt + can or fresh Peaches
Lemon Chiffon Yogurt + Lemon Curd
Key Lime Pie Yogurt + Lime Curd
Blueberry Yogurt + Fresh Blueberries
Vanilla Yogurt + Bananas, Strawberries, Pineapple and Hot Fudge

Below are photos I took of Orange Creme Yogurt + Mandarin Oranges.
It is light, cool and creamy. A delicious dessert for summer.


Yogurt Pie
Serves 6

Ingredients

2 cartons of yogurt
1 cup fresh or can fruit
8 oz. light whipped topping, thawed
1 prepared graham cracker pie crust

Directions

Place yogurt in a mixing bowl, fold fruit into yogurt. Add an equal amount of whipped topping (about 1-1/2 cups or half of the carton) gently fold whipped topping into yogurt and fruit mixture. Pour into pie crust and spread evenly. Place pie in the freezer and freeze solid. When frozen, spread the top with the remaining whipped topping, and garnish with additional fruit.










Linking to:
Ms. enPlace: See Ya in the Gumbo
Stone Cottage Adventures: Tuesdays with a Twist
Anyonita Nibbles: Tasty Tuesdays
My Pinterventures: Tasty Tuesdays
Far From Normal: Wake Up Wednesday
Buns In My Oven: What's Cookin' Wednesday
Carole's Chatter: Food on Friday: Oranges, Mandarins & Grapefruit

3 comments:

  1. Yum Yum Yum! I've made this before but never added the canned fruit! I'm so trying that the next time! I'd love for you to come link this up on my blog! http://werefarfromnormal.com/2014/05/wake-up-wednesday-4.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm pinning this! How simple but yummy looking is that!? Thanks for sharing. I'm stopping by from the blog hop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many possibilities. It's hard to decide what to try first. I'd probably go with something blueberry. Thanks for stopping in and linking this week.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...