Thursday, April 3, 2014

Pico de Gallo

This Pico was so good it got gobbled up before I could measure how many cups it made. In fact, it was being served before I photographed it. I had to tell dear sister to save some chips and Pico for me to photograph. Most of the recipe got eaten with chips. Some was warmed in a flour tortilla with some colby jack cheese. Sort of a meatless mexi-melt. A few tablespoons served as a topping for Tex Mex Soup. It disappeared really fast. It is also delicious over cheesy eggs, mixed into salads or stirred into soup. It is a mild, fresh blend of tomatoes, peppers and onions. This Pico recipe is a perfect Mexican flourish for any meal or just a great snack.



Pico de Gallo
Makes 6 cups? Maybe? LOL! I don't know for sure.

Ingredients

4 medium tomatoes, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
1 tsp garlic, minced
1 medium onion, diced
Juice of 1 lime
2 tsp vegetable oil
1 tsp red wine vinegar
Handful of cilantro, chopped
Kosher salt to taste

Directions

Chop all ingredients and combine in a large bowl.  Add lime juice, oil, vinegar and cilantro. Stir to combine and season with salt to taste. Refrigerate overnight.  Serve with corn chips.  Will keep in refrigerator about one week.

**UPDATE 5.10.2014**
Try using white balsamic vinegar and olive oil.
Also delicious and adds a little fruity sweetness.





Linking to:
Love Bakes Good Cakes: Freedom Fridays with All My Bloggy Friends
Ms. enPlace: See Ya in the Gumbo

2 comments:

  1. Yum, I want to dive straight into that - I can totally see why it disappeared so quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've listed so many uses for this pico. I'm on board with all of them. I love a good, fresh pico and would enjoy it as a nice, healthy, light snack.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...