Thursday, April 17, 2014

5 Spice Sausage Tortellini Soup

The idea to combine 5 spice and tortellini came to me after making Sausage and Peppers Tortellini Soup. The flavor of fennel was so good with the sausage tortellini. I just knew 5 spice with the flavors of star anise, fennel, cinnamon, clove and pepper would be delicious too. This soup was never conceived to be "fusion" cuisine, but it turned out that way. If you like tortellini, pho or french onion soup; there is something in this soup for you. I set out to infuse the broth with onions and ginger like traditional pho; then garnish like pho. But I wanted this to be a quick one pot meal and did not want to strain the broth. That is when this broth started to remind me of french onion soup. The onions really add sweetness to this soup. But all in all, I think the pho inspiration wins out. I went whole hog on the garnishes. I used them all. I love the fresh herbs and lime. I even love how my hands smell "herby" fresh from handling them. I also like how the hoisin supports the 5 spice flavor. Don't forget the spicy sriracha! I love it, but if it's not for you just leave it out. The point of this soup is customization. Add what you like or don't add a thing, it was really good plain right from the pot. Just try it for a quick dinner soup.

One more thing this soup is like all the other tortellini soups, they are great leftovers. The flavor seems to blend and really infuse the tortellini by the next day!


5 Spice Sausage Tortellini Soup
Servings:  4 to 6

Ingredients

1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
1 small onion, sliced into half moons
1-1/2 inch chunk of ginger, peeled and minced
1-1/2 tsp. 5 spice powder
6 cups beef stock
1-1/2 Tbsp. sugar
1-1/2 Tbsp. fish sauce
5 sprigs of cilantro, chopped
1 cup sliced mushrooms
9 oz. package sausage tortellini

Garnishes:
Cilantro tops – leaves and tender stems
Basil leaves
Mint leaves
2 green onions, sliced
1/3 cup shaved red onions
1 lime, cut into 4 wedges
1 jalapeno, sliced
Sriracha sauce
Hoisin sauce

Directions

Heat oil in a 3-1/2 qt Dutch oven over medium high heat. Add onion and ginger, saute stirring occasionally until they begin to brown. Stir in 5 spice powder and add broth deglazing the pot. Add sugar, fish sauce, and cilantro; bring to a boil. Add tortellini and mushrooms, reduce heat and simmer 9 minutes or according to package directions. To serve place tortellini and broth in each bowl. Let each person add their choice of garnishes.




Linking to:
Love Bakes Good Cakes: Freedom Fridays with All My Bloggy Friends
Love Bakes Good Cakes: The Ultimate Soup Recipe List Linky

2 comments:

  1. I love tortellini soups. It's hard to finds good one, that's why I love them homemade. Yum! Thanks for sharing, it looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...