Saturday, March 1, 2014

Drop Biscuits

The elusive Drop Biscuit? Mom has always made these biscuits from one of her very old and well used Betty Crocker cookbooks. But ever since I moved out of my parents home, I have been trying to make these biscuits. They would never come out like Mom's. Flash forward 16 years, I read the instructions I had written down back to Mom for I think the third time?

Me: ...1/3 cup vegetable oil, 1/3 cup milk.
Mom: Oh wait! It is 2/3 cup milk. 

Hallelujah!!!!! Problem solved! I can now make Mom's Drop Biscuits! So very HAPPY!!! Look! Here they are in all there crumbly, fluffy and soft glory.



Drop Biscuits
Source: Mom and Betty Crocker
Makes 6 to 8 biscuits

Ingredients

2 cups all-purpose flour
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/3 cup vegetable oil
2/3 cup milk

Directions

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

Whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Add oil and milk. Stir until just combined. Drop large spoonfuls on baking sheet. Bake 10 to 12 minutes until golden brown.

Notes: Mom often adds other ingredients like, cheese, bacon, sausage or even cracklins on occasion.






Linking to:
My Mixing Spoon: Random Recipe Roundup
This Gal Cooks: Marvelous Mondays
The Chicken Chick: Clever Chick Blog Hop
Ms. enPlace: See Ya in the Gumbo
Jam Hands: Recipe Sharing Monday
The Tumbleweed Contessa: What'd You Do This Weekend?
Yesterfood: Treasure Box Tuesday
Anyonita Nibbles: Tasty Tuesdays
It's Your Life: Tuesdays with a Twist
Family Home and Life: Wow Us Wednesday
Buns In My Oven: What's Cookin' Wednesday
Turnips 2 Tangerines: Four Seasons Blog Hop
Miz Helen's Country Cottage: Full Plate Thursday
My Turn for Us: Freedom Fridays with All My Bloggy Friends
Hungry Harps: #GetHimFed Fridays
Tales of a Pee Dee Mama: Food on Friday

9 comments:

  1. I laughed out loud at your story about the mistake in the recipe. My mom and I did that for years about her pralines. I never COULD make them the way she did. Then one day, yeah, we figured out the she made a slight mistake when she wrote them out for me. Now I'm thinking about your mom's homemade biscuits and my mom's pralines. I think there's some cooking coming up in my VERY near future. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. I've pinned these, and am following Soup Spice Everything Nice on Pinterest! I have a link party, Treasure Box Tuesday, and I would love for you to share some of your recipes if you ever have time. We open on Monday evenings at 7:00 p.m. Central Time. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Joy! I would love to join your party. I am so glad my Mom and I are not the only ones who are recipe sharing challenged. :) Family recipes are the best. Blogging is my way of capturing those family food memories even the mistakes. Thanks so much for sharing your memories here. Have a great weekend! See you at Treasure Box Tuesday.

      Delete
  3. You brought the yummy biscuits AND Roasted Chicken in a Bundt Pan to the party- thanks! They would be perfect together! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a special place in my heart for drop biscuits. My grandpa used to make them for me when I spent the night at my grandparents' house. I loved waking up to the smell of coffee and drop biscuits. And I love the crunchy bits on top. Thank you for sharing and for the memories!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love drop biscuits. The mix-up in the recipe sounds like something that would happen to me. Thanks for sharing at Food on Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so glad you were able to get that recipe right! (your story had me laughing!) These look great and like such a great comfort food. :) Thank you for sharing at #GetHimFed Fridays!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These Biscuits would be great with any meal or just with butter, we just love biscuits! Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and hope you are having a great week.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can you drop these on top of, say, a beef stew, to make a one-casserole stew with biscuit?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...