Sunday, February 16, 2014

Creamy Broccoli Soup

Wow! I thought I was getting better at the photography thing. And then this happens. Here are some really weird pictures of another creamy vegetable soup with no cream. I am always looking for veggie soups for lunch, a snack or as a starter. I usually want them low cal so I don't have to worry about having another serving. I have been wanting to make Broccoli and Cheese Soup, so I decided to make a Creamy Broccoli Soup and garnish with light cheddar cheese and light sour cream. This soup was so good! You don't even need the garnishes. In fact, I liked it better without. The shallot and carrot add a lot of sweetness. This soup is a great way to spoon up your broccoli. I used frozen broccoli but fresh would work well too. Another great go to veggie soup.



Creamy Broccoli Soup
Serves 4 to 6; Makes approx. 6 cups

Ingredients

2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
1 shallot, finely diced
1 carrot, peeled and finely diced
1 rib of celery, finely diced
1 small clove of garlic, minced
16 oz. bag of frozen broccoli florets
4 cups fat free low sodium chicken broth
Kosher salt, black pepper and red pepper flakes to taste
2% sharp cheddar cheese (optional)
light sour cream (optional)

Directions

Melt butter in a soup pot, add shallot, carrot and celery. Saute until shallot begins to get translucent. Add garlic and cook until vegetables are tender. Add broccoli and chicken broth and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to a simmer for 20 minutes. Use a stick blender to partially puree the soup. Season to taste with salt, black pepper and red pepper flakes. Serve hot. Garnish with cheddar cheese and sour cream (optional).




Linking to:
Love Bakes Good Cakes: The Ultimate Soup Recipe List Linky
Ms. enPlace: See Ya in the Gumbo
The Tumbleweed Contessa: What'd You Do This Weekend?

5 comments:

  1. As I saw the post I thought, I can't eat this soup. So much cream and butter. This is awesome. I have to try this out.
    By the way. I love the cup and saucer. Really pretty. I'd love it if you linked this to What'd You Do This Weekend at Tumbleweed Contessa.

    Have a great week,
    Linda @ www.tumbleweedcontessa.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Lita, I just linked up to What'd You Do This Weekend. Thanks so much for the invite and the nice comments. Have a great day!

      Delete
  2. I hste to say it, but taking pics sometimes makes me drag my feet when it comes to blogging. It's hard to get the lighting right, stage everything, etc. Exhausting sometimes!

    Anyway, I like to find a creamy soup (my favorite type of soup) that doesn't have cream. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Saw your recipe on See Ya In The Gumbo- love to party there also. Thanks so much for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes it just taste better than it looks. Love the recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...