Saturday, February 15, 2014

Asian Inspired Breakfast Bowl

I guess I am in a savory breakfast phase. First there was Breakfast Pizza and now an Asian Inspired Breakfast Bowl. This is not authentic at all! This is my experiment to see if I want to try a more authentic recipe for Congee. I have seen Congee on at least two different cooking shows lately. It is a long cooking rice porridge that they eat in China for breakfast. I decided to make a quick microwave version with left over rice. I really loved it. My version is more soup like. I really like the richness of the broken yolk in the broth. I love the spice of the Sriracha too. I will definitely try a authentic Congee recipe one day. In the mean time, I look forward to days when I have left over rice.



Asian Inspired Breakfast Bowl
Serves 1

Ingredients

3/4 cup leftover white rice
1 tsp chicken bouillon
1/2 tsp ginger, grated
1 cup water
1 egg
1 tsp canola oil
drop or two of sesame oil
low sodium soy sauce, to taste
Sriracha sauce, to taste
1 green onion, sliced

Directions

Combine rice, bouillon, ginger and water in a 2 cup microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 4 minutes stirring half way through. Meanwhile heat canola and sesame oil in a non-stick pan. Add egg and cook over easy or until white is set. To serve, place egg on top of rice and broth mixture. Garnish with soy sauce, Sriracha and green onion.




Linking to:
Ms. enPlace: See Ya in the Gumbo
The Tumbleweed Contessa: What'd You Do This Weekend?
Carole's Chatter: Food on Fridays - Leftovers

1 comment:

  1. I'm not familiar with congee, but then Asian cuisine is not one I'm all that versed in. But I do like new ideas for using leftover rice. We always seem to have an abundance. Great flavors in this, Denise. Thank you for linking.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...