Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Sausage, Beans and Kale Soup

This has to be one of my absolute favorite soups. I don't know what it is about the combination of Italian sausage, chicken stock and kale. It is so amazing! I have had soup with Italian sausage. I have had soup with chicken stock. But this is the only soup I have made with kale. So maybe it is the kale that is so amazing? I swear this soup could make any day better. It definitely makes me happy. To think this soup was a totally accident. The recipe I was following in the beginning called for broccoli rabe. When I couldn't find it I substituted kale. I am so happy I did. I usually make this soup with a bunch of fresh kale, cannellini beans and only 4 cups of broth. I had to make some substitutions this time because I could not find what I needed at the store. It was just as delicious and made a lot more soup. Nothing wrong with that. You have to try this soup. You are really missing out if you don't. The kale is amazing! I think I am going to try it in the next vegetable soup I make. I have too!


Sausage, Beans and Kale Soup
Serves 8

Ingredients

2 Tbsp Olive oil
20 oz Turkey Italian sausage, casing removed
1 med. Onion, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
1 Idaho potato, chopped into small dice
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 bay leaf
1 can (15 oz) great northern beans, drained
Salt, freshly ground black pepper and red pepper flakes, to taste
16 oz frozen chopped Kale 
6 cups chicken broth
Grated Parmesan cheese, for serving

Directions

Heat a 3-1/2 quart pot over medium–high heat. Add olive oil and sausage, brown crumbling with a spatula as it cooks. Add onions, carrots, potatoes, garlic, bay leaf and beans. Season with salt and peppers. Cook to begin to soften the vegetables, 5 minutes. Add kale and chicken broth, raise heat and bring soup to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and cook covered for 15 minutes. Remove bay leaf, check seasonings, and serve soup with grated cheese.








Linking to:
Buns In My Oven: What's Cookin Wednesday
Miz Helen's Country Cottage: Full Plate Thursday
My Mixing Spoon: Random Recipe Roundup Linkie Party
Cassidy's Cooking Collection: Linky & Drinky

1 comment:

  1. I just love this combination for a nice fall and winter soup. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and hope your weekend was great!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...