Saturday, June 29, 2013

Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas

I have always been a bigger fan of chicken enchiladas instead of beef. I go for  enchiladas suiza, verde enchiladas or sour cream enchiladas. I decided to try to make Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas like I might get at a local restaurant. They are really simple, soft flavorful chicken rolled in a corn tortilla and topped with sour cream sauce, sharp cheddar cheese and slice jalapenos. They turned out great in the flavor department. The chicken was moist, tender and had great flavor. The crock pot did a great job. The chicken would be great for tacos too. I loved the tang of the sour cream sauce and sharp cheddar. Where I think the recipe needs work is in technique and presentation. The sour cream sauce took a long time to thicken. I think next time I may warm the broth before I add it to the roux. I found that my favorite part of the enchiladas were the saucy ends. Next time I will put a teaspoon of sauce in the center before I roll it up. I think that will insure a saucy center too. As far as presentation I may try fixing individual plates like the restaurants do. Their plates are always so pretty. When you make enchiladas in a casserole they are hard to serve as individual enchiladas they stick to each other. I will work on that and take another photo. In the mean time, these enchiladas are creamy, saucy, and very delicious.






Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas
Serves 4 to 6

Ingredients

For the Chicken:
1 onion, sliced
1 tomato, sliced
2 large boneless, skinless, chicken breast (approx. 1-1/2 lbs)
2 cups fat free, low sodium chicken broth

For the Enchiladas
1/4 cup light butter
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups fat free, low sodium chicken broth
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
2 cups sour cream (I used 1 cup light and 1 cup regular)
12 corn tortillas
2 cups shredded 2% sharp Cheddar cheese
Jalapeno, sliced

Directions

Layer sliced onion and tomato in the bottom of a slower cooker. Season chicken breast with Adobo Seasoning, place on top of tomato. Pour in 2 cups of chicken broth. Cook on high for 4 hours. Remove chicken and set aside to cool. Discard broth and solids. When chicken is cool shred with two forks.

Preheat oven to 375°F. Spray a 8x8 and a 9x13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.

Over medium heat in a saucepan, melt the butter, add the flour, and stir vigorously with a wooden spoon for a minute or so. Gradually whisk in the chicken broth, and cook until mixture thickens and bubbles. Reduce the heat, or remove from the burner, and stir in the sour cream. Do not allow sauce to boil, but gently heat through.

Soften the corn tortillas by placing on a plate wrapped tightly with plastic wrap and microwaving for 40 seconds. Place an equal amount of the chicken on each of the 12 tortillas, add a tsp of sour cream sauce in the center, roll them up and place them, seam side down, in the baking dish.

Pour the sauce evenly over the tortillas in the dish, top with cheddar cheese and bake for 24 minutes at 375°F. Garnish with sliced jalapeno, and serve hot.

Makes four servings of three enchiladas each or six servings of two enchiladas each.











Linking to:
This Gal Cooks: Marvelous Mondays
Jam Hands: Recipe Sharing Monday
Carole's Chatter; Food on Fridays: Sauces

1 comment:

  1. These look really yummy and like you I prefer chicken or turkey over beef enchiladas...thank you for posting this wonderful recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...