Monday, May 13, 2013

"Wagon Wheel" Pasta Salad

No I have not lost my mind, I know this is a photo of spiral pasta. I have searched and searched for veggie wagon wheel pasta. I just can not seem to find it anymore. I just could not wait any longer to share this recipe with you so I made a substitution. When I worked in Georgetown,TX we would often order our lunch from the Ice Cream Parlor. One of their lunch specials was this pasta salad. It was the perfect lunch accompanied by a Route 44 Sonic iced tea with lime. It is really cute made with wagon wheel pasta. The round pasta wheels, slices of carrots and black olives make this bowl full of wheels. The black eye peas get stuck in the spokes of the wheels. I have to admit it is just as delicious with spirals. It is crunchy, fresh, filling and very colorful. The dressing is seasoned just right and I love the fresh herbs, but you could use dried basil in a pinch. I really enjoyed having it in the refrigerator last week for lunch. It would be great to take to a BBQ or potluck this summer. I guess it is a nostalgia thing. But I will keep hunting for wagon wheels. Maybe I can make one with wheels before the summer is over.





Wagon Wheel Pasta Salad
Serves 6

Ingredients

1 pkg. (12 oz) veggie wagon wheel pasta (or any veggie pasta shape)
1 can (3.8 oz) black olives, drained and sliced
1 jar (4 oz) red pimento, drained
1 medium bell pepper, diced
1 cup carrots, sliced (about 2)
1 can (15 oz) black-eye peas, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup olive oil
Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
1-1/2 tsp. salt, or to taste
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/8 tsp. red pepper flakes
Tbsp. fresh basil, chopped or 1/2 tsp dried basil
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped 

Directions

Cook pasta according to package directions; drain. Place pasta, olives, pimento, bell pepper, carrots and black-eye peas in a bowl. Combine remaining ingredients; pour over pasta mixture. Chill (the longer, the better!).


Linking to:
Ms.enPlace: See Ya in the Gumbo
This Gal Cooks: Marvelous Mondays

1 comment:

  1. I'm feeling a bit of nostalgia myself. Not because of the recipe, but because when my son was a toddler his favorite pasta was wagon wheel shapes. Loving the fresh herbs in this salad. I was able to add the title to your link, but couldn't use the quotation marks. Thank you for linking. I apologize it's taken me so long to comment. Busy, busy week.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...