Sunday, May 12, 2013

Cinco de Mayo Review and a Hot Sauce Recipe

We had a great Cinco de Mayo. We made more Guacamole, Pork Carnitas, Hot Sauce, Mexican Shrimp Cocktail and Salty Chihuahuas. It was sort of a multi-course, snack as you go kind of afternoon. There were plenty of leftovers and everything was even better the next day. Below is the links to the original recipes and a review. I am also sharing a Hot Sauce recipe I got while living in central Texas.





Guacamole
We made one of Tyler Florence's Guacamole recipes for the second time [Click here for the recipe]. It is delicious, but calls for a lot of lime juice. It is a little tart. Dad said, "Is there lime in this?" So add the lime to your taste. The good news is it keeps well in the refrigerator with plastic wrap on the surface. With all that lime juice it stays beautifully green.

Salty Chihuahuas
I found this drink recipe on Pinterest. This recipe comes from Eating Well [Click here for the recipe]. It is the best grapefruit juice you will ever have. It is grapefruit juice, tequila and orange liquor. This cocktail would be perfect for a brunch too. Definitely going into my bar-tending recipes.

Pork Carnitas
I found this recipe on Pinterest too. Carole at My Kitchen Escapades adapted this Carnitas from a Cook's Illustrated recipe [Click here for the original recipe and a helpful video]. I made it exactly as Carole suggest [Click here for Carole's recipe]. It was amazing! I found it was even better the next day. You can use this pork for tacos like we did or for so much more. It would be great for nachos, rice bowls, burritos, as a stuffing for poblanos, etc. I have to make this again real soon.

Hot Sauce
I got this homemade Hot Sauce recipe when I lived in Georgetown, Texas. The original recipe called for 6 large ripe tomatoes. I started using canned tomatoes so I could make it year round. It is a versatile recipe you can adjust the heat level to your taste. I like medium to mild so I use half the seeds. In the past I used Tabasco in this recipe. But now, since my recent discovery of Cholula hot sauce I use it instead. It adds a little smoky spice in the background. I hope you enjoy it.


Hot Sauce

Ingredients
  
28 oz can whole tomatoes  
15 oz can whole tomatoes 
(or 6 large ripe tomatoes when tomatoes are in season)
1 jalapeno pepper 
(seeded for mild, remove seeds from half for medium, use seeds for hot)
1 clove garlic
1/4 large onion
juice of 1/2 lime
1/8 tsp. cumin
dash red wine vinegar
3-4 sprigs cilantro
dash or two Cholula hot sauce (or Tabasco)

Directions

Combine all ingredients in blender.  Process until blended.  Refrigerate overnight.  Serve with corn chips.  Will keep in refrigerator about one week.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...