Sunday, March 17, 2013

Seafood Gumbo with Whole Crabs

This is the second Seafood Gumbo the family has shared this year. The sister requested it for her birthday dinner. So Mom and Dad prepared one. We also had one this year on Christmas Eve. Yes, I have been sitting on this post and pictures since then. Shame on me! But better late than never, right?

Now let me be honest with you. I have never liked messing with whole crabs in my Gumbo. They are so messy! But... they do add a whole lot of flavor. So I just lift them out of the bowl and put them aside on a plate. Then I enjoy my Gumbo and pick the crabs later. When I was young my Mom would use lump crab and peeled crab claws. That is really more my style. Less of a mess. But I do admit the gumbo has more seafood flavor when you use the whole crabs. So you can decide what is right for you. But I assure you, if you like seafood this is the gumbo for you. With this recipe you get the most seafood flavor possible; using whole crabs and making the shrimp stock. I do plan to make the next pot the short cut way. I will use store bought peeled and deveined shrimp, lump crab meat, peeled crab claws and just plain water no stock. I know my Mom has done it this way in the past. I remember it being good too. I will be sure to share that pot with you too.




Seafood Gumbo with Whole Crabs
Serves 14 plus

Ingredients

1 cup oil         
1 cup flour
1 small can tomato paste
2 large onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
6 stalks celery, chopped
5 lbs shrimp, peeled and deveined(shells reserved)
12 to 15 whole crabs, cleaned
2 pints oysters
1 bunch green onion, sliced
1/2 bunch parsley, chopped
Salt, black pepper, red pepper flakes and Cajun seasoning to taste

Directions

Peel and devein the shrimp, placing shrimp in one bowl and shells in a 3 quart pot. Chop the onion, celery, and bell peppers and set aside. Add just enough water to cover the shrimp shells. Bring to a boil and lower to a simmer and cover.

Heat flour and oil on medium-low heat until milk chocolate or dark caramel color. Add tomato paste and stir until well mixed. Add bell pepper, celery, and onion cook until softened. Add crabs cook until liquid forms. Season the shrimp with a little salt, black pepper, red pepper flakes and Cajun seasoning; add to gumbo and cook until they start to turn pink. 

Turn shrimp shells off and strain the liquid into the pot. Stir well. Add additional water until the constancy of a full bodied soup broth not a stew. Bring to a boil and check seasoning; season with additional salt, black pepper, red pepper flakes and Cajun seasoning to taste.

30 minutes before serving strain oysters, reserving liquid.  Add liquid to Gumbo and oysters one by one to make sure oysters are free of pieces of shell.  Add green onions, and parsley. Check seasoning again and adjust to taste. Serve in a large bowl over rice. Be sure to put a plate under the bowl for those crabs!






Linking to:
Love Bakes Good Cakes: All My Bloggy Friends
Memories by the Mile: Tuesday Trivia - LOUISIANA and Link Party
Rediscovering Lost Arts from Our Mothers: Tried and True Recipes
Carole's Chatter: Food on Fridays - Crayfish, Lobster & Crab

1 comment:

  1. Really love your blog! I nominated you for a Liebster Award! Check out the details: http://rediscovermom.blogspot.com/2013/03/liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...