Sunday, November 25, 2012

Italian Artichoke Casserole

The Thanksgiving weekend is over. I have had my turkey sandwich and the leftover turkey went into the Gumbo pot. There is a little Butternut Squash Parsnip Soup and Italian Artichoke Casserole left. I realized today I forgot to post the casserole recipe. My mom has been making this for years. The original recipe only used one can each of green beans and artichoke hearts. It was more of a bread stuffing that way. We have added more veggies and it makes for a very delicious side. Very different from the usual green bean casserole. I hope you will try it. Makes a great potluck dish.




Italian Artichoke Casserole

1 pinch of cayenne and black pepper
1/2 cup olive oil
Several cloves of garlic, chopped (2 tsp)
1 medium chopped onion
1 cup snipped parsley
3 cans green beans, drained and chopped
3 cans artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Saute onion, garlic and parsley in olive oil.  Add green beans; cook 5 minutes.  Add artichoke hearts and mix.  Add bread crumbs and cheese; mix well.  Spoon in slightly greased 2 quart casserole.  Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. 

8 Servings

Nutrition Facts per Serving: Calories 273.7; Total Fat 18.6 g; Saturated Fat 4.6 g; Polyunsaturated Fat 2.4 g; Monounsaturated Fat 11.3 g; Cholesterol 10.0 mg;   Sodium 992.8 mg; Potassium 93.1 mg; Total Carbohydrate 18.8 g; Dietary Fiber 2.6 g; Sugars 4.4 g; Protein 9.1 g.

2 comments:

  1. I always thought it funny that so many LA people love artichokes. They pop up so often. This casserole makes me crave stuffed artichokes. But I like the idea of a casserole with green beans--much more flair than the typical green bean casserole!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle you are so right. I do know where the connection between LA and artichokes started. My grandfather use to stuff them. My mom loves to steam them, then grill them. My sister asks for them at every holiday even when they are not available. I would say we are among those who love them.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...