Sunday, October 7, 2012

Spinach and Artichoke Hummus

I really like traditional Hummus at my local Greek restaurants. But one day I discovered all the different variations chefs are out there creating. In an issue of Food Network Magazine I learned about The Wild Pea. They are creating unusual flavors like Buffalo Wing Hummus and Pizza Hummus. Both wonderful, the recipes were in the magazine. This inspired me to start experimenting with my own flavors. Below is my recipe for Spinach and Artichoke Hummus. It is lighter in texture than most hummus. The flavor is great, a little like hummus, a little like artichoke spread. Great with veggies or warm pita. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.



Spinach and Artichoke Hummus
Makes 2-1/2 cups; Serves 10

3 Tbsp of tahini
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 can garbanzo beans (drained, reserve liquid)
1 can artichoke hearts (drained, and squeezed to remove liquid)
Handful of baby spinach leaves
Juice of one small lemon (3 Tbsp)
Pinch of red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp. kosher salt or to taste

Drain can of garbanzo beans, reserving 1/3 cup of the juice from the can. Add the beans, tahini, artichokes, lemon juice, garlic, salt, and red pepper to food processor. Blend until smooth adding reserved liquid. You can adjust the amount of liquid depending on how thick you like it.  Add spinach and process until you see little flecks of green. Serve with pita or veggies for dipping.

To serve: I spread hummus on a plate or platter. Make a moat in the hummus with the back of a spoon. Drizzle moat with olive oil. Sprinkle with red pepper flakes. In the very center place a half of a artichoke, two garbanzo beans and one baby spinach leaf.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...