Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Fire Roasted Tomato Dressing

This salad dressing is the brain child of two different dressings I have discovered. I first heard the idea of a Smokey Tomato Salad Dressing on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives. Guy visited the Joint in New Orleans, they served a green salad with Smoked Tomato and Onion Dressing. I haven’t made it down there to try it yet but it has been on my mind. If I owned a smoker I would have tried to make it already. They smoke tomatoes and onions, puree them with mayonnaise, salt and pepper.  I vow I will try it one day.

Then the second salad dressing entered the picture when I received the Oct/Nov 2012 volume of Healthy Cooking Magazine in the mail. Inside was a recipe for Low-Fat Tangy Tomato Dressing. All you do is blend a can of tomatoes, Italian dressing mix packet, 1 Tbsp. cider vinegar and 1 Tbsp. olive oil. I have made this three times now. The recipe was wonderful and low fat! I made it with balsamic vinegar it was great! It was then that I decided to make it again with fire roasted tomatoes and 1 Tbsp light mayo instead of oil. It is so smokey and delicious. I am so glad I found this recipe. It has been so much fun changing it up too. I hope you enjoy it.




Fire Roasted Tomato Dressing
Makes 2 cups

1 can (14.5 oz) fire roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
1 envelope Italian salad dressing mix
1 Tbsp. cider vinegar
1 Tbsp. light mayonnaise

Place all ingredients in a blender; cover and process until blended.

Nutrition Facts: 2 Tbsp. equals 7 cal., 0.3 g fat, 0.3 chol., 91.4 mg sodium, 1.1 g carb., fiber 0.2 g, protein 0.2 g.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...